“You know you grew up in Farmingdale when you…”
- Attended pre-school at Peanuts, Dilly Dally or St. Luke’s.
- Adored “Tony the Ice Cream Man.”
- Played at least one season of soccer on the Farmingdale Wolverines.
- Had your name and/or photo in The Farmingdale Observer.
- Own a house close to the street where you grew up. If not, live in the same house. Or, the one next store. (Yup, I live 58 steps from my parent’s house!)
- As kids, your parents took you to Carvel. As parents, we bring our kids to Ralph’s.
- Were either the kids who rode the quads and dirt bikes, or the people who complained about them.
- Knew the Farmingdale Fire Department alarm would go off at noon each day, but were startled when it did. Every. Time.
- Were born at Mid-Island Hospital (now St. Joseph’s).
- Went sleigh riding at Bethpage State Park Golf Course.
- Went to the Hardscrabble Fair. Every. Year.
- Had a birthday party at McDonald’s with the talking tree.
- Took swimming lessons at the Howitt pool – and it was always freezing cold.
- Took tennis lessons during the summer at Farmingdale High School – and it was always scorching hot.
- Thought there should be a light at the intersection of Woodward Parkway and Motor Avenue.
- Went to “Summer Rec” (and were probably a “counselor” during high school).
- Had “fancy” family dinners at Red Lobster or the Sizzler.
- Went to Open Swim at the high school pool.
- Two words: “bleacher parties.”
Where we ate:
Gino’s Pizza / Today, it’s still Gino’s Pizza. And it’s still the best pizza in Farmingdale.
Then: Pete’s Deli / Today, it’s still Pete’s Deli
Then: Red Lobster / Today, it’s a church
Then: Von Lessons / Today, it’s Vespa
Then: Bollinger’s Deli / Today, it’s a hair salon
Then: Annabella’s / Today, it’s Blue Hawaiian
Where we shopped:
Then: Moby Drugs / Today, it’s still Moby Drugs
Then: Sneaker Circus / Today, it’s Lee’s Tae Kwon Do
Then: Dairy Barn / Today, it’s a parking lot (Still not over the loss of drive-through convenience!)
Then: Waldbaums / Today, it’s vacant (I’m still hoping for a Trader Joe’s!)
Then: Farmdale Farms / Today, it’s a florist
Then: Norma’s Stationary / Today, it’s a physical therapy office
Then: Cheap Johns / Today, it’s apartments
Then: Genovese / Today, it’s Retro Fitness
Then: C-Town / Today, it’s Best Yet
Then: King Kullen / Today, it’s Guinta’s Meat Farms
And don’t forget Grand Union, Buster Brown, Jellybean, Irene’s Gift Shop, The Five and Dime, Wally’s Hardware, Associated Supermarket and Health & Beauty Aides.
At Sunrise Mall, we went to:
Home Decor (looking back, I don’t think I should have been allowed in that store as a child!)
Spencer’s (I don’t think I should have been allowed in there, either!)
Baker’s (I loved their shoes!)
Bavarian Pretzel (I still crave these and the Coke slushy!)
The Movies (Just. The. Best.)
Woolworth (spent so much time in the photo booth)
Sam Goody (the place to go for overpriced “tapes”)
Sizzler (did someone say “salad bar”?)
Orange Julius (OMG…please give me one, NOW!)
Where we played:
Then: County Line Bowl / Today, it’s an Ace Hardware
Then: Putt-Putt Golf / Today, it’s a Wendy’s
The Bike Path (and still do!)
Allen Park, aka “Heiser Lane” (and still do!)
Where we learned:
The Farmingdale Library / Today, it’s The Library Café
The South Farmingdale Library / Today, it’s a CVS
Mill Lane (now Saltzman East Memorial)
Northside Elementary School
St. Kilian’s (sadly, no longer an operating school)
Howitt Middle School
Farmingdale Senior High School
Once a Daler, always a Daler. #DalerStrong
* This “You know you grew up in Farmingdale when you…” is based on my life as a “Daler” from December 1973 and onwards. Admittedly, I did not have the full “Daler experience” growing up as I attended Catholic elementary and high school. Nevertheless, I am proud to be a member of the Farmingdale community, and happy my children are 100% Dalers, K-12!
Thanks to everyone who shared their awesome Farmingdale memories. I didn’t include things I couldn’t personally recall, but loved hearing all the “throwbacks.”